In early 2016, the Town of Carver joined 22 other communities to launch a community electricity aggregation (CEA) program designed to provide residents and businesses with competitive choice, long-term price stability, and reduced electricity rates. Also known as municipal electricity aggregation, the program relies on bulk-purchasing methods that generate economies of scale, resulting in reduced electricity supply costs for participating Eversource account holders.
The program has since renewed with Public Power, LLC and will run for 36 months beginning January 2018 through January 2021 at a rate of 10.122 cents/kWh. This compares favorably with Eversource's Basic Service rate of 12.888 cents/kWh from January 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018. See rates below.
Community Electricity Program (Supply Services Only)
(Supply Services Only)
January 2018 - January 2021
(Rates apply to service beginning and ending on the days of the month that your meter is read in your service area.)
February 2018 - June 2018
(Residential and Small Business rates change every six months. Eversource indicates that the Large Business rate will also remain in effect through the end of June.)
Only the supply portion of your Eversource bill will be impacted. Eversource will continue to deliver your power as it has done in the past, but Public Power, LLC will be indicated as the supplier of record on the supply portion of your Eversource bill beginning in January 2018. There will be no change in the level of service you receive from Eversource as a result of participating in the Carver program.
Primary Program Benefits
- Lower electricity bills - Eversource Basic Service rates change every six months (typically every three for Large Business rate class) and may be below the program rate during any given six month period. Consequently, it is important to assess program savings as compared to Eversource rates over the duration of the contract term.
- No rate volatility – enjoy the same fixed rate for 36 months, ending January 2021
How to enroll
Enrollment occurs automatically. Eversource account holders that are not currently participating will receive an opt-out letter detailing the program and providing answers to most commonly asked questions. This letter will also provide simple instructions on how to opt out (not participate) of the program.
For those moving to or within Carver, you may proactively contact the program supplier, Public Power, LLC, to re-enroll/enroll your new account in the aggregation program at the original rate for the duration of the term, ending January 2021. If you do not proactively contact Public Power, you will receive an opt-out notification letter detailing the program. Simply disregard the opt-out notification letter if you wish to participate in the program. Please note that your first month of service will default to Eversource Basic Service supply, but will then transition to the Carver program on your next available billing cycle.
Account holders that are currently under contract with a third party supplier will not receive an opt-out letter and will not be auto-enrolled in the program, however, these account holders may opt in by contacting Public Power, LLC.
Please note: account holders currently on with a third party supplier should review the terms & conditions of their existing supply contract for any early termination fees associated with ending their existing supply contract prior to opting into the Carver program.
How to opt out or discontinue participation
If you do not wish to participate, simply send back the self-addressed postage-paid card enclosed in the opt-out letter within 30 days of the letter’s postmark or contact the program supplier, Public Power, LLC, directly. You may also opt out of the program here.
- Participants will continue to receive a single bill from Eversource.
- There will be no change in the level of service you receive from Eversource. If you experience an outage or other service issues, please contact Eversource at (800) 592-2000.
- No action is required in order to continue to participate in Eversource’s Budget Billing program.
- You may leave the program at any time with no associated early termination fees or penalties.