In early 2016, the Town of Plainville joined 22 other communities to launch a community electricity aggregation (CEA) program designed to provide residents and businesses with competitive choice, long-term price stability, and reduced electricity rates. Also known as municipal electricity aggregation, the program relies on bulk-purchasing methods that generate economies of scale, resulting in reduced electricity supply costs for participating National Grid account holders.
The program has since renewed with Public Power, LLC and will run for 36 months beginning January 2018 through January 2021 at a rate of 10.122 cents/kWh. This compares favorably with National Grid's Basic Service rate of 12.673 cents/kWh from November 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018. See rates below.
Community Electricity Program (Supply Services Only)
(Supply Services Only)
January 2018 - January 2021
(Rates apply to service beginning and ending on the days of the month that your meter is read in your service area.)
November 2017 - April 2018
(Residential and Small Commercial rates change every six months. *Industrial rates change every three months.)
Only the supply portion of your National Grid bill will be impacted. National Grid will continue to deliver your power as it has done in the past, but Public Power, LLC will be indicated as the supplier of record on the supply portion of your National Grid bill beginning in January 2018. There will be no change in the level of service you receive from National Grid as a result of participating in the Plainville program.
Primary Program Benefits
- Lower electricity bills - National Grid Basic Service rates change every six months (every three for Industrial rate class) and may be below the program rate during any given six month period. Consequently, it is important to assess program savings as compared to National Grid rates over the duration of the contract term.
- No rate volatility – enjoy the same fixed rate for 36 months, ending January 2021
How to enroll
Enrollment occurs automatically. National Grid account holders that are not currently participating will receive an opt-out letter detailing the program and providing answers to most commonly asked questions. This letter will also provide simple instructions on how to opt out (not participate) of the program.
For those moving to or within Plainville, you may proactively contact the program supplier, Public Power, LLC, to re-enroll/enroll your new account in the aggregation program at the original rate for the duration of the term, ending January 2021. If you do not proactively contact Public Power, you will receive an opt-out notification letter detailing the program. Simply disregard the opt-out notification letter if you wish to participate in the program. Please note that your first month of service will default to National Grid Basic Service supply, but will then transition to the Plainville program on your next available billing cycle.
Account holders that are currently under contract with a third party supplier will not receive an opt-out letter and will not be auto-enrolled in the program, however, these account holders may opt in by contacting Public Power, LLC.
Please note: account holders currently on with a third party supplier should review the terms & conditions of their existing supply contract for any early termination fees associated with ending their existing supply contract prior to opting into the Plainville program.
How to opt out or discontinue participation
If you do not wish to participate, simply send back the self-addressed postage-paid card enclosed in the opt-out letter within 30 days of the letter’s postmark or contact the program supplier, Public Power, LLC, directly. You may also opt out of the program here.
- Participants will continue to receive a single bill from National Grid.
- There will be no change in the level of service you receive from National Grid. If you experience an outage or other service issues, please contact National Grid at (800) 233-5325.
- No action is required in order to continue to participate in National Grid’s Budget Billing program.
- You may leave the program at any time with no associated early termination fees or penalties.